Thursday, March 27, 2014

I Love Patches

Honestly, I don't remember much about my days as a Brownie and Girl Scout other than a camping trip and some meetings where we did crafts. This isn't to say that it wasn't awesome, it's just that I don't remember.
Despite the hole in my own memory about scouts, I love the scouting experience for our girls. I love the activities they can get involved in, the community experiences, volunteering, and opportunities to try things they may not have done otherwise. For them, Girl Scouts has been a great place to meet other girls and explore who they are, what they stand for, and what they like.
One of my favorite things about the Girl Scouts are the patches. Although Tot doesn't dwell on earning patches (she loves the activities though), Bean is thrilled every time she earns one. I love the patches because it's like a memory quilt for me. I look at their vests and can remember each of the experiences, activities, or accomplishments that went along with each patch. The father-daughter dance where Bee was a lighting bolt and Tot was shocked (and the subsequent nerves that brought them home early). The donation to our local food bank at Thanksgiving and the pride on the girls' faces when the staff weighed their hundreds of pounds of donated food. The Adventure Day patch where Tot tried rock climbing, even though she was terrified. The night we went skating and the girls' confidence grew by leaps and bounds. I love the patches because of the wonderful experiences they stand for. If truth be told, I want some of my own (as long as they are iron on).

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I looooved the patches when I was in Girl Scouts.

Mrs4444 said...

This is funny, and I totally relate. We still have Kendall's vest somewhere around here. Some day, we'll take a little memory walk of our own!